Results 1 - 10 of 39 Page 1 of 4
Results per-page: 10 | 20 | 50 | 100

Black Dog Shaft – Wheal Busy

Relevance: 100%      Posted on: 6th August 2015

Wheal not so busy?! Although part of an extremely productive mining sett, this particular shaft saw little action. This pumping engine house was built in 1872, but the engine never made it into the engine house and the mine closed in 1873. The engine was eventually broken up for scrap next to the engine house. The engine house was all but destroyed by US marines as demolition practice prior to the D-Day landings. Now, the remaining walls are most precarious and crumbling away. In terms of mineralogy, the site was mined for Copper, Tin and Arsenic. The mines of Wheal…

Pleasley Colliery Museum

Relevance: 94%      Posted on: 4th January 2016

Pleasley Colliery still retains its headstocks, engine houses and steam winders! One was installed in 1904 by Lilleshall Co and the other in 1922 by Markham & Co The Pit was sunk in the 1870s and produced coal until 1983. Pleasley Colliery is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument and has become a wonderful mining heritage site. The engine-house roofs and the chimney have been renovated and the winders have been restored by members of the Friends of Pleasley Pit preservation group. There is also a splendid Pit Café and an entire nature reserve to enjoy! Check out the Pleasley Pit…

Avoncroft Windmill

Relevance: 93%      Posted on: 11th August 2015

This scrumptious 19th century post mill is one of only three surviving examples from the English Midlands. Avoncroft Windmill was rescued from Danzey Green near Tanworth-in-Arden in 1969 and reconstructed at Avoncroft Museum. They have monthly sailing days when you can see it in action! I wanna be a windmill volunteer! Check out their events programme Here! Stoke Heath, Bromsgrove, Midlands, B60 4JR.

Newcomen Engine, Dartmouth

Relevance: 88%      Posted on: 26th August 2015

They say that the Newcomen Engine, Dartmouth, is the oldest preserved steam engine in the world! Restored in 1963/4 by the Newcomen Society, this engine (mostly of 1725) is very similar to Newcomen’s earliest 1712 model. It was originally installed at the Griff Colliery near Nuneaton in 1725, but it didn’t stay there. 4 years later it was transferred to Oakthorpe Colliery in Measham and in 1821, it was moved to an engine house at Hawkesbury Canal Junction near Coventry, where it stayed until 1913. Each job required pumping water, whether it was out of the depths of a mine…

Wheal Ellen

Relevance: 88%      Posted on: 14th December 2015

Wheal Ellen is the only engine house in Cornwall with a castellated stack. It probably operated from 1826 to 1862 and produced primarily copper, with some lead and zinc. Situated in the Tywarnhayle Valley where metalliferous mining was prolific! Wheal Ellen Mine is thought to have turn-out over 2,500 tons of copper, so this engine house was built in 1866 with a view to re-working the mine, but it seems that it didn’t see much action, because the engine was never installed! Such exuberant design is a proud shout-out that Copper was King in Cornwall! Mines in the region include…

Save Enderby House

Relevance: 87%      Posted on: 17th November 2015

The Enderby Group seeks to preserve Enderby House on the Greenwich Peninsula and to publicise and record the telecoms and cable-making heritage of Enderby Wharf and Greenwich, south east London. Described as one of the saddest sights on Greenwich’s Thames Path, left vandalised and wrecked, neglected by developers who don’t seem to have a clue what to do with it. This is where the world’s first telegraph cables were made, with work still taking part in a small corner of the site. Without Enderby House, there may well have been no phones, and no internet. It’s a hugely-overlooked piece of…


Relevance: 87%      Posted on: 2nd March 2017

Catalyst is a Science Discovery Centre focusing on chemistry and the history of the chemical industry. It is devoted to chemistry and how the products of chemistry are used in everyday life. Catalyst is the ideal treat for kids regardless of age! It's an action-packed family attraction with an excellent educational focus. Enjoy panoramic views across Cheshire from the rooftop Observatory reached by a scenic glass lift, or visit Scientrific, or Birth of an Industry. There is also a unique careers gallery, where pupils can gain valuable insight into careers in science through interactive displays and DVD Clips. Check out…

Northampton and Lamport Railway

Relevance: 85%      Posted on: 29th January 2017

Northampton and Lamport Railway is a steam and heritage diesel tourist railway in the heart of the Northamptonshire countryside. The Northampton and Lamport Railway is approximately 1½ miles of running track alongside the Brampton Valley Way, a 14 mile linear part from Northampton to Market Harborough, you can not only ride one of our trains along the former line but walk along and watch the steam and diesel engines in action. Check out their website – HERE!   Pitsford Rd, Chapel Brampton, Northampton, NN6 8BA This is just a seed page – please add what you know and help it to…

Stotfold Watermill

Relevance: 81%      Posted on: 17th January 2016

The Stotfold Watermill has the widest overshot waterwheel in the country! It is also the only working mill left in Stotfold and is a grade II listed! The incredible water wheel is a 4.4 metre wide overshot corn mill waterwheel. The Mill was fully restored after being burnt down on 15 December 1992. It is currently open to the public with a tea room on alternate weekends in season (March to October) and on special event weekends. It stands on the River Ivel and is one of only 4 mills in Stotfold. Nobody is certain of the exact date, but…

New life for New Mill

Relevance: 80%      Posted on: 4th February 2016

New Mill is a Grade II listed post mill at Cross-in-Hand, near Heathfield, East Sussex. It was the last windmill working commercially (by wind) in Sussex, ceasing in 1969. Originally built for a site elsewhere in the early 1800s, New Mill was moved twice to reach its current site! It arrived here (as New Mill) in 1868 by Samuel Medhurst. It joined an older mill on this site. New Mill is a post mill on a two-storey roundhouse. It has four patent sails carried on a cast iron windshaft and was winded by a tailpole-mounted fantail. After moderations over the…