Amlwch Port WindmillAmlwch Port Windmill, Amlwch Port, Angelsey, Wales
Amlwch Port Windmill is the tallest on Anglesey.
It is over 60 feet tall with seven floors.
It is also known as Mona Mill.
Amlwch Port Windmill was built in 1816 by a prominent local family, the Paynters. The family originally came from Cornwall and moved to Amlwch in the second half of the 18th century. John Paynter was a corn merchant at the time, and after his death in 1843 his house (Maesllwyn) and business interests passed to his nephew John Wynne Paynter.
The actual running of the mill was done by the Jones family, with William Jones listed as the miller in various directories between 1850 and 1895. Tragically, his son, also called William, was killed by a lightning strike in 1876.
The mill was not only tall but also spacious, with a generous diameter of 30 feet. This provided plenty of room for storage as well as four pairs of millstones.It is unusually built of bricks,
When first built it was boasted that 70 bushels of corn could be ground in an hour.
The mill closed sometime in the early 20th century and was an empty shell by 1929. The numerous buildings surrounding the mill during its working life also disappeared during this time. The land on which it stands is now owned by the Anglesey County Council, which has taken steps to halt its decline.