Wheal PeevorRedruth, Cornwall, UK
Wheal Peevor – what a great name and what a great mine!
The first mining sett was granted here in around 1701 and they made shallow workings for copper, but when the price of copper slumped in 1788, the mine turned its hand to winning tin ores. For the tin though, they had to dig deep.
Wheal Peevor had the added bonus of being drained by the Great County Adit later on, towards the end of the 18th century. This helped to make it commercially buoyant, when the prices fluctuated too low, putting other mines to a halt or close. Wheal Peevor mine closed in 1889.
The remains are so joyous because this mine boasted three engines!
The largest engine, with a 72 inch cylinder, was used for pumping water out of the mine; the second, used for winching material in and out of its shaft (at the eastern side of the sett); and the third, with a 32 inch engine, which operated 48 heads of Californian stamps for crushing the ore.
A plaque on site by Mineral Tramways, reads:
Sir Frederick’s Shaft
This main pumping and haulage shaft for the mine was also known as Michell’s and George’s shaft. It was sunk to a depth of 110 fathoms (660 feet / 201 metres).
Have a root around, by all means, but stick to the pathways. Old mining areas are dangerous and the satellite image shows open shafts dotted around!