Wireworks Railway BridgeTintern, Chepstow NP16, UK
The iron lattice railway bridge served the wire industry!
For 300 years, the numerous works and forges along the Angidy Valley dominated the village and surrounding communities.
Tintern produced some of the best wire in the country and was the first wireworks in Britain to use waterpower to assist the ‘wire drawing’ process.
By the early 19th century there were 22 waterwheels along a two mile stretch of the Angidy.
A branch from the Wye Valley Railway to the Lower Wireworks with the bridge was completed in 1875, but too late to stop them going out of business.
The Wye Valley Railway was a standard gauge railway that ran for nearly 15 miles (24 km) between Chepstow and Monmouth along the Lower Wye Valley in Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire. It opened on the 1st of November 1876 and was leased to and worked by the Great Western Railway.
In 1878 a new company leased the wireworks site to manufacture tinplate although by 1895 it was reported as closed and only some ruins, associated ponds, leats and culverts are now visible.
Prior to this, there was a tidal port here at Tintern and the information board ‘Treading Water’ in the images explains how busy it was, but now it has been filled in.
The bridge was used in the early 20th century as a horse-drawn tramway and now carries a tourist footpath to the opposite bank.
Enjoy the views over the River Wye at the former Abbey Mill cafe over looking the wireworks railway bridge.