Ynysfach Engine HouseYnysfach Engine House, Ynysfach Rd, Merthyr Tydfil CF48 1AG, UK
The Ynysfach Engine House was built in 1836 for the adjacent Ynysfach Ironworks.
The Engine House was one of a pair and they were owned by the Crawshay family – who also owned the world famous Cyfarthfa Ironworks.
The Ynysfach works closed during the strike of 1873 and consequently the engine houses fell into disuse.
Remarkably, a reconstruction of the works was created by the Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust, which can be viewed HERE! It was compiled using the archaeological evidence produced from the excavations along with specialist reports and historical documents.
The original ironworks were largely demolished before and during the 1960s. The site of the former Ironworks is now mostly occupied by the Merthyr Tydfil College.
Thankfully, the Ynysfach Engine House was restored in 1989 and re-born as a glorious heritage centre!
It’s currently open to the public and offers an introduction to the Merthyr Tydfil heritage story, with a view of some of the internal engine house workings downstairs.
If you yearn for more, then read the Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust blog HERE!
The Engine House, Ynysfach Road, Merthyr Tydfil, CF48 1AG.